Audience Targeting for Amazon Advertising
Amazon provides the perfect opportunity to sell to millions online, extending reach far beyond a brick-and-mortar storefront. Due to the sheer volume of web traffic that Amazon receives each month, many sellers focus all of their efforts exclusively there rather than open their Direct to Consumer (DTC) website. Amazon reports around 101 million Amazon Prime subscribers in the United States alone. But eCommerce brands will see greater success by narrowing their target audience rather than selling to every Amazon Dave, Manuel, and Tamika. If you’re looking to increase your revenue and see real conversions, Amazon audience targeting helps maximized your ad budget.
The massive online shopper database held by Amazon goes unrivaled compared to other eCommerce platforms. Amazon accounts for 40.4% of all U.S. eCommerce sales.. Google knows which people show interest in a brand based on search histories while Facebook defines a target audience based on likes, follows, interests, demographics, and much more. While these platforms have valuable data, Amazon best understands what and how people buy in detail.
Enable Audience Targeting on Amazon DSP
Amazon’s DSP (Demand Side Platform) enables the programmatic buying and selling of digital advertising on Amazon. It also covers websites, social media, mobile apps, and online video channels. Amazon’s Demand Side Platform helps advertisers buy display, video, and audio ads at scale. There are two key attributes with DSP:
- Automatic ad buying across thousands of different sites
- Targeting supported by Amazon’s purchasing data
Amazon DSP operates through a cost-per-impressions (CPM) model increasing brand awareness while sponsored ads use cost-per-click (CPM) seek to drive conversions. Keywords does not trigger Amazon DSP ads. As the advertiser, you define the audience to target, and Amazon serves their customers the relevant ads.
Using Audience Targeting in Amazon Ads
There are three basic types of ads that appear in specific places with this Amazon targeting:
- Display Ads: Amazon’s standard banner ads come in different shapes and sizes. Moreover, they render on Amazon, Amazon devices, Amazon-owned and operated sites, and across the web.
- Video Ads: These snippets can appear with video content or as an element within a display ad; Video ads may also get featured on Amazon sites, devices such as Fire TV, and across the web.
- Audio Ads: These ads will appear on Amazon Music’s free ad-supported tier during breaks in playback.
Audience Targeting Methods on Amazon DSP
Amazon DSP extends to over a dozen audience targeting options that brands can use to reach new customers. Try experimenting with a combination of the Amazon audience targeting methods below:
- Behavioral Targeting: Focuses on customers who have carried out specific activities (like browsing your category over the past 30 days or clicking a specific listing). Advertisers often use behavioral targeting to generate more awareness.
- Lifestyle Targeting: Shows ads to relevant people who habitually buy from a particular category. Lifestyle targeting will concentrate on customers who are similar to your existing ones or interested in brand-relevant categories.
- Demographic Targeting: Refers to targeting based on age, gender, yearly income, or location. Best for top-of-funnel/awareness stage.
- Device Targeting: Advertisers can target ads to specific device users like Android or Apple phones, desktop users, etc.
- In-market Targeting: In-market defines people in the market for specific products or services. It is a more refined version of lifestyle targeting.
- Contextual Targeting: Advertisers can choose display ads to audiences based on the user’s browsing behavior.
- Remarketing: Ideal for the sales stage of the funnel, remarketing targets consumers who were close to purchasing a product or competitive product. In most cases, these customers abandoned their basket or added a product to a wish list. There are many types of remarketing targets available:
- Pixel-Based Remarketing re-targets shoppers on Amazon who visited your brand’s website.
- ASIN Remarketing re-targets shoppers who viewed your product on Amazon but didn’t complete a purchase.
- Purchased ASIN Remarketing re-targets shoppers who bought one of your products previously.
- Brand Halo Remarketing targets shoppers who viewed other products from your brand.
- Similar Product Remarketing re-targets shoppers browsing similar products to yours.
- Audience Lookalike: Targets customers who share similarities with your current customers. Best for top-of-funnel/awareness-consideration stages.
- Advertiser Audiences: Uses third-party data as well as Amazon data.
Start Finding Your Best Customers on Amazon
With so many different types of ads and audience targeting available, the possibilities with Amazon DSP feel virtually endless. Depending on your advertising objective, you can use DSP to navigate a consumer through the sales funnel or reach them at any one point within the funnel. Spending the time to target your ideal audience is crucial to selling on a titanic eCommerce platform. Utilizing Amazon’s audience targeting feature with their massive database of customer information will provide your brand with valuable reach and sales.
Need help reaching more qualified customers on Amazon? Or maybe your PDP can use a much-needed makeover. From optimization to campaign launches, Premiere Creative can handle all your Amazon marketing needs. Dial (973) 346-8100 today to schedule an appointment with one of our Amazon campaign managers.